Our client Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute (RDI2) is a unit of the Rutgers Office of Research and Economic Development. Located in New Jersey (USA), its overarching goal is to establish a university-wide comprehensive and internationally competitive computational and data-enabled science and engineering program at Rutgers University based on the integration of research, education, and infrastructure that stimulates new thinking and new practices essential to addressing grand challenges in science, engineering, society and industry.
After discussion with the client, we understand that our client was encountering several problems with their outdated site and that it needs a urgent revamp to incorporate features that it requires to meet its needs. They wanted to share their accurate location on Google map, so that their site vistors or users can locate them easily.
There was also a requirement of informing their site users about their phone number, social pages, and mailing details. They wanted to make a new publication section where admin can publish each and every in a bibliographic order. Here they wanted to share their partners and staffs and administrative persons of this institution (with image and detail of every staff). They wanted an area using which user can connect to admin using any grievance and redressal.
After multiple brainstorming sessions, we came to this conclusion that the need is to develop a dynamic and mobile-friendly website with changeable functionalities and following features:
- A user interface using which the admin can share basic information regarding ‘Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute’.
- A feature that enables them, to share their ‘Cyber Infrastructure Leadership Projects’ to public web users.
- A feature to easily share their research studies publicly.
- A news event section to share their latest news and events and keep the users updated.
- Accurate display of their location on Google map and their comtact number, social pages and mailing details on their site.
- Sharing of all the links of subsidiary institutes of the Rutgers University on their site.
Solution offered to client:
We offered our client a range of solutions including the following ones:
- Created a new theme and integrate the same successfully.
- Created a content type named ‘Cyber Infrastructure Leadership Projects’
- Created ‘Research’ content type that could be managed from the admin panel.
- Created ‘News and Events’ section where site users can share a specific link to any other user.
- Added Google map on their site to point out their exact location.
- Inlcuded clickable social media icons and create a a section at the footer to display the mailing address of the institute and other details.
- Added all subsidiary links in site header using drupal block.
- Added publication module (eg:- bibcite-citation) that now allows the web administrator to add publications as he or she desire.
- Created separate content type for “partners” and “staff” from they can add details for every staff.
- Created a dynamic contact form.
- We have created html of this website using HTML5 and mobile used responsive technology. So user can get a good feeling when they browse this site in mobile.
After revamping the site, client got the following benefits:
- Got a new look which is appealing to users and ensure a great UI experience.
- Site being full-width can now display more content without any space crunch.
- Representation of the research content using diagram and formula becomes possible.
- Site receive a dedicated space to broadcast their job opportunities.
- With increasing number of site visitors, more students become interested in their institute.